Nothing happens by chance!

Great opportunities often come unexpected, yet the most important thing is knowing how to make the best out of them.

That is how Dual Diploma’s Italian story begins: with Antonio Roca, director of Academica –an educational institution that binds together more than 120 schools around the United States- and Richard Collins, professor at the Linguistic Centre of the University of Verona.

The Dual Diploma Program had already been implemented in several states around the world, including Spain. Why not involve the Italian students as well, since the Italian high school study plans met the requisites of the American ones?

 

 

The Beginnings

The Dual Diploma Program started off in Italy in April 2013.

A team of teachers and tutors who deeply believed in the effectiveness of the program was determined to spread the word in the Italian schools. Using a direct approach (“Stand up for it!”), they started contacting various institutions and students in Verona to get some feedback. Even though the academic year was almost over, the first results were very positive: 80 enrolled students for the year 2013/14.

The High School Diploma is released by Academica, which is based in Miami, FL. The students are enrolled at Mater Academy High School, which has gained an A ranking by the Florida Department of Education.

Academica enrolls the Italian students and validates 75% of the 24 credits an American student needs to graduate from High School through the conversion of the Italian subjects and their evaluations. The remaining 25% corresponds to 6 annual courses, which the students can attend over a 2 to 4 years span.

The Dual Diploma Program is accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools), one of the most important qualifications in the education field in the U.S.

 

 

Official acknowledgements

The first official acknowledgement comes in June 2013: the Dual Diploma Program gains the official support of the Education Office of the Verona City Hall and is included in the Offers of excellence to the students through the prize ‘Pagelle d’Oro’ (‘Golden school reports’).

This is followed by a letter of appreciation by the Superintendence of Education of the autonomous province of Bolzano, which is currently working with a ‘trilinguism’ program for their students.

Also the autonomous province of Trento stated

that the Dual Diploma Program is extremely valid and committed to share the information on the program with all the high schools on their territory.

 

Strengths

Our final aim is to give the students the chance to acquire the highest levels of IT, linguistic and management skills, so that they will be able to compete in a global job market.

Our program is a social and cultural bridge among and towards all the students that enroll in it.

A prepared and flexible staff that is scrupulously committed to supporting the students of the program at any moment is at the students and families’ disposal.

Today

The program has now more that 400 enrolled students from all over Italy: Verona, Vicenza, Padua, Venice, Trento, Bolzano, Mantua, Milan, Reggio Emilia, Parma. Many others are joining us with every new enrolment.